|“||Wars take many lives away. Humans never forget the grief, but they also never stop the fighting. But we must always remember that one person with the right resolve can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the very course of history. So my fellow brethren let us today stand here united and make a difference. Let us make sure that future generations never have to witness the brutality of war, so together let’s make a difference and take this threat head on, so that another war may never fall upon us ever again.....||”|
The 7 Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist (霧の忍刀七人衆, Kiri no Shinobigatana Shichinin Shū, literally the "Seven Shinobi Swordsmen of the Mist") also known as the Shichinintai (七人隊, Band of Seven Ninja) is an organization consisting of only the greatest blade-wielding shinobi of their generation that Kirigakure can produce, all of them are S-Class shinobi's. There can only be seven members at a time, hence the name; however, following the death of a member, an understudy is traditionally given the fallen member's position to keep the roster full at all times. The current generation of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist was reformed after the invasion of Kirigakure by Otogakure forces that took place about 12 years ago before the current timeline. The members of the seven swordsmen are identified by the "Water" kanji (水) marked on the clothes they wear.
From those among the Kirigakure shinobi that excel in swordsmanship; seven are chosen and then favoured in accordance to their skills and strength. These chosen seven are called The Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist. The strength of the Band of Seven are on a completely different level than those of the regular shinobi forces of the village.
At any given time, the swordsmen have a nominal composition of seven members, all recruited by the Mizukage and consented by the Water Daimyo himself. The Seven Swordsmen as a group possess comparable strength and skill, and are sworn to protect the Village Hidden in the Mist. The group doesn’t have any sort of hierarchy, and are shown to be a loose-knit organization. The Mizukage him/herself is confident enough of the Band of Seven’s abilities to send them out on potentially hazardous missions, such as gathering information from various countries, fighting dangerous criminal shinobi by themselves, searching for rogue or convicted ninja’s and mostly importantly protecting the Hidden Mist Village from any threats and danger. Being a vital part of Kirigakure’s military strength, the Seven Swordsmen are privy to several of the village’s plans and most intimate secrets.
Like most shinobi’s in the village the Seven Swordsmen are allowed to take any number of ninja jobs of any rank. These missions can include: doing manual labour, acting as escorts, gathering secret information, retrieving stolen items, carrying out assassinations, etc, they are given a good amount fee for their services, it helps in the contribution of running their organization. Most of the swordsmen prefer taking on missions of higher rank such as B-Rank, A-Rank or S-Rank missions.
As stated by Reika Masamune, though they may take orders from the existing Mizukage and in dire situations may protect the kage, they are not totally loyal to the kage but rather are loyal towards the village and its people, making the job of protecting the village number one priority above all else. The swordsmen are also willing to protect their home country, the Land of Water as well. Also according to Reika, any member of the Seven Swordsmen are not allowed to use their bladed swords within the confines of the hidden mist village, as several members possess unique swords that are capable of causing damage to the village when used with full strength. They are allowed to use their bladed weapons if the village is ever attacked by outside forces or in desperate situations. Another rule is that one swordsman is not allowed to challenge or fight another, as this will cause disagreement and friction amongst themselves, this rule is set in place so that there is peace and no animosity amongst the group. These entire rules were agreed upon by all existing members of the Seven Swordsmen.
Also amongst the seven swordsmen of the mist there may also be apprentice swordsmen, these are young shinobi who are currently training to become a future member of the seven swordsmen of the mist. These young shinobi are selected from a group of young genin's or chunin's who show much skill in the art of ninjutsu or even swordsmanship. Every so often the chunin exams were held within Kirigakure that allowed students from the hidden mist to compete against each other in order to prove themselves worthy of apprenticeship in the eyes of visiting Seven Swordsmen member. They are usually put under the care of a current band of seven members, who is usually in charge of the development of their respective apprentice’s ninja and swordsmanship skills. There are apprentice swordsmen so that the legacy of the seven swordsmen may continue.
Location and BuildingEdit
The headquarters for the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist is a large mansion occupied by current members, and is located close to both the Kirigakure Ninja Academy and the Mizukage's Mansion. The headquarters building is located in Kirigakure. The building itself is several stories high, and is equipped with various facilities and necessities required by the swordsmen. The building consists of living quarters for all the seven swordsmen along with a kitchen, dining hall, and an underground training room. There is even a library where information on its ninja, past and current, is stored there, as well as other points of interest, important documents, and various other ninja scrolls. There is also a Conference Room; it is a place where the seven members go to talk about important events and or to plan out situations. It is also in this room that the seven members would talk and have important discussions with various political members and shinobi from not only Kirigakure but from all over the Land of Water, the Mizukage would also come to meet with the seven from time to time to discuss important matters.
There is also a small bar located beside the dining hall, most of the seven members come here to drink sake and to relax from time to time, and this is a leisure place within the building. There is also a room located within the building where they could get ninja missions or tasks, this helped them earn a living by completing client requests, and these missions usually include: doing manual labour, acting as escorts, gathering secret information, retrieving stolen items, carrying out assassinations, etc. They even employ an extensive support staff, in order to maintain the building and keep up with its daily activities. Also inside the building there is a room called the Vault, in this room various artefacts and trophies collected by the swordsmen members are kept and also past bladed weapons that were used by previous generations are also kept here for safe keeping and also for the reason that they do not fall into the wrong hands, it seems it took them a while to collect and retrieve most of the swords.
Original Seven Swordmen Edit
The tradition of the Seven Swordsmen originated from an old legend that tells of a time before the Great Shinobi Wars when conquer and plunder was common. The Hidden Mist Village was just sprouting (though, as Orochimaru commented in Anime, it did have a "highly organized" military force) when it was attacked by the ancestors of the present Kaguya Clan. Villagers and shinobi alike were being slaughtered and the village run through until a small brave group of sword-carrying ninja banded together and defeated them all, driving them away thus saving what was left of the village. The Mizukage was quite impressed with their skills that he officially made them an organization of Kirigakure and named them the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. Since then, they were sworn to protect Kirigakure with their lives. The original seven members were the strongest blade wielding shinobi of their generation. Corruption and abuse of power by future Mizukage's led to the disbanding of the Seven Swordsmen, reforming it as a more draconian personal vanguard for the Mizukage.
Third & Fourth Ninja World WarEdit
The members of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen were the people who came from the Bloody Mist's graduation exams with the greatest battle skills. However, the members also had a great lust for power, which led several of them to defect and become missing-nin. Kisame Hoshigaki became a member after killing Fuguki Suikazan, who was revealed to be a traitor leaking information to the enemies, but Kisame later became the first of the seven to abandon Kiri after committing several unauthorized assassinations, and attempting to overthrow the government, then joining Akatsuki afterward.
Zabuza Momochi would later do the same after a failed coup d'etat and assassination attempt on the Mizukage. Before leaving, he encountered a boy named Haku with a unique ice kekkei genkai and took the boy with him, as well as the Demon Brothers, Gōzu and Meizu. It hasn't been confirmed when Raiga Kurosuki left Kiri, but it was around the same time when he discovered a boy named Ranmaru, who ended up having a similar relationship with Raiga to that of Zabuza and Haku. Ranmaru also had a special dōjutsu which Raiga used for his own purposes, furthering their relationship to that of Haku and Zabuza's. Since then, the total number of the group gradually decreased, as the swords one by one fell out of Kirigakure's possession. Eventually, Kirigakure was left with only one sword, and Chōjūrō became the only member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist.
According to a ninja from the Allied shinobi forces, the generation closest to the Fourth Great Shinobi World War was the strongest of the Seven Swordsman in the entire groups history, having been composed of the most powerful seven among the ninja that had ever been a part of this group.
The Hōzuki brothers, Mangetsu and Suigetsu, both trained with the intention of joining the Seven Ninja Swordsmen together. Mangetsu did eventually join, and mastered use of all seven of the swords, rather than one. However, he later died, and Suigetsu was captured by Orochimaru. Suigetsu has since taken an interest in collecting all seven swords, in order to restore the group to its original power and become its new leader.
During the Fourth Great Shinobi World War, Kabuto Yakushi used the Summoning: Impure World Resurrection technique to resurrect the previous generation of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist to fight on behalf of Akatsuki, the said generation being the most powerful in Kirigakure's history, at the time.
The Seven Swordsmen of the Mist has long since been the most powerful group within Kirigakure. The group first began as a vigilante group to protect the people. The Seven Swordsmen had originally started as a model organization until they started doing unspeakable acts of violence and crime, presumably during the reign of the second or third Mizukage. During the fourth shinobi world war, most of the remaining swordsmen were killed during the battle against Madara Uchiha and the Akatsuki. After the fourth ninja world war came to an end they were officially disbanded, due to the fact many of their past members betrayed the hidden mist village for their own selfish purposes, and thus the legendary group came to an end.
It wasn't until 12 years ago before the current events that the seven swordsmen were once again reestablished as an organization. Various young shinobi from the Hidden Mist village started to show great potential in both swordsmanship and ninja ability and thus by the orders of the Water Daimyo and with consent of the Mizukage the seven swordsmen were once again formed as a team, with the intention of protecting the Hidden Mist Village. Like the original seven members the current generations of the seven swordmen are known for their renowned skill in swordsmanship and ninja prowess.
- Reika Masamune, "Darkness of the Hidden Mist" (霧隠れの鬼人, Kirigakure no Yami) (Currently affiliated with Kirigakure). The first female member introduced in the fanon storyline. She is considered as the strongest kunoichi in the Hidden Mist village and is an accomplished swordsman within the group. She is also the first swordsmen to be recruited as a member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, and is often considered the first among equals of the seven swordsmen.
- Raizen, "Lightning of the Hidden Mist" (霧隠れの稲妻, Kirigakure no Inazuma). (Currently affiliated with Kirigakure). He is the second swordsmen to be recruited as a member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. Having spent time training among the Samurai of the Land of Iron, he is known for his exceptional skills in swordsmanship and the use of various lightning based techniques.
- Ayano Kisaragi, "Suijin" (水神, "Water God"). (Currently affiliated with Kirigakure). The fourth of the new generation recruited into the group. Originally a Head Ninja, Ayano's crippling love of alcohol drove her into poverty as she lost all respect from her peers, until she decided to pick up her act, regaining her skills to the point of being accepted into the Seven Ninja Swordsmen. She wields Ama no Habakiri.
- Kosenjō Yūyoku, "Lion Queen of the Sea" (海の獅子王妃 "Umi no Shishiōhi") (Currently affiliated with Kirigakure). The fifth of the new generation swordsman recruited into the organization, and likely one of the most well known throughout Kirigakure's criminals. She is currently one of the senior Hunter-Nin and was formerly a student of Kushimaru Kuriarare. Kosenjō possesses remarkable skill as a ninja and a swordswoman, wielding the blade known as Sanzen Shodai Nagamichi.
- Kenshin Yagami, "Holy General of Divine Speed" (神速聖将, "Shinsokuseishou"). (Currently affiliated with Kirigakure). Kenshin boasts the greatest experience out of the other members as its eldest swordsman. He is clan head of the Yagami Clan, and a powerful political leader within the central government of Water Country, Kenshin has instrumental in the overthrow of the previous Mizukage's Bloody Mist, and instating the current regime. He wields the Yagami Clan ancestral blade Tsukikage.
- Yun Koshaku, "The Law of the Mist " (隠しミスト法, "Law of the Hidden Mist"). (Currently affiliated with Kirigakure). Originally from Getsugakure, Yun escaped after a failed coup d'etat and slayed several shinobi of Kirigakure The newest and youngest swordsman to be recruited as a member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. Yun weilds the infamous blade Kyofuga.
- Zabuza Momochi, "Demon of the Hidden Mist" (霧隠れの鬼人, Kirigakure no Kijin) (defected with Haku, Gozu, and Meizu; later joined the Gatō Corporation; deceased)
- Kisame Hoshigaki, "Monster of the Hidden Mist" (霧隠れの怪人, Kirigakure no Kaijin) (said to be the strongest of the seven; defected; joined Akatsuki; deceased)
- Raiga Kurosuki, "Thunder of the Hidden Mist" (霧隠れの雷人, Kirigakure no Raijin) (anime only; defected; founded the Kurosuki Family; deceased)
- Chōjūrō, no known title (bodyguard of the Fifth Mizukage; implied to have been relatively new to the Seven Swordsmen at the time)
- Mangetsu Hōzuki, "Second Coming of the Demon" (鬼人の再来, Kijin no Sairai) (the only member of the group to have mastered all seven swords; older brother of Suigetsu Hōzuki; deceased)
- Fuguki Suikazan (he was the superior of Kisame Hoshigaki; deceased)
- Jinin Akebino (deceased)
- Kushimaru Kuriarare (former ANBU member; deceased)
- Jinpachi Munashi (deceased)
- Ameyuri Ringo (deceased)
- Amatsu-Mikaboshi (天津甕星, "August Star of Heaven"): It takes the form of a shikomizue (a blade hidden inside Reiko's cane). Because the sword itself resides within the cane, its hilt is still the handle of the cane, so it looks different from most swords. It is described as one of the most terrifying sword to exist in the current generation. It is currently wielded by Reika Masamune a member of the seven swordsmen. It is also called the "Evil sword" (悪刀, Akutō).
- Sanzen Shodai Nagamichi (三善初代長道 Three Virtuous Beginnings, Change Ancient Teachings) otherwise known as Sanzen (三善 Three Virtues) is the name of the blade utilized by Kosenjō Yūyoku in battle, and created by an unnamed, but highly famed sword-smith while she was in her child years. It is a sleek Nodachi with a shining silver blade, it's hilt is of a pure white colour, it's guard being the same color, however it's design is of three bars of a black color. Kosenjō remarks that Sanzen is a highly virtuous blade, and that using him for the wrong purposes is very dangerous to herself.
- Kyofuga (恐怖牙, "Horror Fang"): It is one of the new generation of Ninja blades utilized by the current Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist. Kyofuga has the appearance of a standard katana when its drawn, however, upon further inspection one is able to find three grooves running along its edges.
- Tsukikage (月影, lit. "Moon Shadow") is the Yagami Clan ancestral blade and one of the oldest surviving swords in Water Country. It takes the appearance of a beautifully crafted nodachi with a floral motif and decorations on the handle and sheath. Its blade portion is composed of crystalized chakra, giving it the greatest chakra sensitivity and prowess out of the swords, and is considered one of the most powerful swords in the world. The sword is more famously known as the Sanka no Tsurugi (惨禍の剣, "Sword of Calamity"). Tsukikage is currently wielded by the samurai Kenshin Yagami, a member of the Seven Swordsman.
According to Suigetsu, the previous generations swords of the Seven Swordsmen were passed down from generation to generation.
- Kubikiribōchō (首斬り包丁; English "Executioner's Blade"; Literally meaning "Decapitating Carving Knife"): A giant sword with a butcher-knife-like appearance, the wielder can use the hole on the blade to grab an opponent's head and decapitate them, hence the name. The sword has an ability to regenerate using the iron absorbed from the blood of those it cuts down. It was formerly owned by Zabuza, and was later retrieved by Suigetsu. It was damaged by Killer Bee, and snapped in half by the Fourth Raikage. Currently in possession of the seven swordsmen and is kept and locked away inside the vault within the swordsmen headquarters. It is also called a "Seversword" (断刀, Dantō).
- Samehada (鮫肌; Literally meaning "Shark Skin"): TThe most terrifying of the seven blades, it has the appearance of a giant knife covered in shark scales. It is a sentient, living weapon and has the ability to "eat" chakra. It was formerly owned by Fuguki Suikazan, Kisame Hoshigaki, and later Killer Bee. Currently in possession of the seven swordsmen and is kept and locked away inside the vault within the swordsmen headquarters. It is also called the "Greatsword" (大刀, Daitō).
- Hiramekarei (ヒラメカレイ): A bandaged double-handled sword that is capable of creating a chakra layer around itself in the form of a hammer. It was once wielded by Chōjūrō. It is currently wielded by the Captain Commander of Kirigakure's ANBU Blacks Ops, Dōsame Hoshigaki. It is also called the "Twin Swords" (双刀, Sōtō).
- Kiba (牙; Literally meaning "Fangs"): Twin pike-like "bolt" swords that are imbued with lightning which increases their cutting power. They are said to be the sharpest swords ever forged. It was once wielded by both Ameyuri Ringo and Raiga Kurosuki. Currently in possession of the seven swordsmen and is kept and locked away inside the vault within the swordsmen headquarters. It is also called the "Thunderswords" (雷刀, Raitō).
- Kabutowari (兜割; Literally meaning "Helmet Splitter"): A "blunt sword" consisting of a single sided axe and a hammer joined by a length of chain. Said to be capable of crushing any and all defenses. It waswielded by Jinin Akebino. Currently in possession of the seven swordsmen and is kept and locked away inside the vault within the swordsmen headquarters. It is also called the "Bluntsword" (鈍刀, Dontō).
- Nuibari (縫い針; Literally meaning "Sewing Needle"): A longsword in the shape of a needle with long thin wire that resembles thread. It was wielded by Kushimaru Kuriarare. Currently in possession of the seven swordsmen and is kept and locked away inside the vault within the swordsmen headquarters. It is also called the "Longsword" (長刀, Chōtō).
- Shibuki (飛沫; Literally meaning "Splash"): The "explosion" sword that has a scroll full of exploding tags incorporated into it, lined up behind the blade, combining swordsmanship and explosions. It was wielded by Jinpachi Munashi. Currently in possession of the seven swordsmen and is kept and locked away inside the vault within the swordsmen headquarters. It is also called the "Blastsword" (爆刀, Bakutō).
The Apprentice Swordsmen of the Mist are a sub faction of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, though they are technically not members of the main group but are affiliated with them. They are young shinobi aspiring to be future members of the group, and as such are training to become a member of the Band of Seven themselves under the guidance of a Seven Swordsmen member.
- Suigetsu Hōzuki: A shinobi from Kirigakure who once aspired to be part of the group. He was a former swordsmen apprentice aspiring to inherit the title of Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist. But due to the death of his brother his dream was later shattered and he was later captured by Orochimaru. However, the young swordsman began chasing his dream once again after Sasuke aided him in retrieving the Executioner's Blade from a wealthy aristocrat in Kirigakure.
- It is a tradition for the current generation members, and aspiring members, of the Seven Swordsmen to be proficient in the skill of swordsmanship and to wield bladed swords.