|Literal English||Wood Release|
The Wood Release (木遁, "mokuton" in Japanese) techniques combine earth and water-based chakra to create wood. Wood Release techniques can be produced from anywhere, including the user's body, as the user's chakra is literally converted into a source of life. Wood Release is commonly affiliated with the Snake seal. The technique which consists on manipulating wood is called a Wood Release technique (木遁の術, "mokuton no jutsu" in Japanese).
- Hashirama Senju was the originator of this ability in the Senju clan, evidenced by the fact that no other member of his clan were known to possess this ability. His ability to use these techniques was one of the reasons for him being given the title of the First Hokage, and - with Wood Release Secret Technique: Nativity of a World of Trees - he was able to grow the trees that served as the foundation of Konohagakure. This technique allowed him to completely reshape the battlefield to his advantage.
- Orochimaru, in his quest to harvest the First Hokage's abilities, injected his DNA into sixty test subjects, and out of the sixty only Yamato survived. This gave Yamato the Wood Release abilities. However, he is not as masterful as the First.
- Orochimaru also performed a similar procedure on Danzō Shimura by implanting the First's cells in his right arm. While Danzō is capable of using this power at a similar level to Yamato, it appears Danzō's version is much cruder and causes a much more significant drain of chakra with each usage, causing Danzō to avoid using it whenever possible. As stated by Madara Uchiha, the First's powers are not so easy to control, and that when Danzō was on the verge of death, the cells in his arm went berserk, trying to swallow him whole by converting him into a tree.
- Wood Release parallels the real-life ninja art "mokuton-no-jutsu". One example of real-life mokuton-no-jutsu is Tanuki-gakure: the practice of climbing a tree and camouflaging oneself within the foliage.
- The majority of the fan-made techniques were created by User:Ten Tailed Fox. Therefore, he deserves any and all credit for said creations.